At least five killed and dozens injured after violence – reportedly over the killing of a Muslim man – erupts in Bangui.
At least five people were killed and dozens of others were wounded in the capital of Central African Republic on Saturday as Muslims attacked a mainly Christian neighbourhood, medical officials and witnesses have said.
The attack came after a Muslim man was killed and his body was found dumped in the street, witnesses and a Muslim group spokesman, Ousmane Abakar, told news agencies.
There were conflicting reports on the number of deaths, ranging from five to 21.
Two years of violence, which erupted after Muslim Seleka rebels seized power in the majority Christian country in 2013, has killed thousands of people and forced hundreds of thousands to leave their homes.
The fighting divided the country when Muslims were chased from the south. There had not been any attacks in Bangui, which is secured by French and UN soldiers, for months until a grenade attack earlier in September.
In Saturday’s incident, angry Muslims left their stronghold in the 3rd district of Bangui and attacked the largely Christian Fifth district using automatic weapons.
Residents fled to other parts of the capital and attackers burned houses and cars, witnesses said.
UN helicopters with a peacekeeping force flew overhead.
Source: Al Jazeea