- A pipe burst and spewed water all over the Golden Globes red carpet as press awaited the arrival of Golden Globes attendees Sunday
- The Beverly Hills Hotel officially blamed a sprinkler system, but witnesses said the water was black and smelled like sewage
- Beverly Hills Fire Department was able to clean up the mess well ahead of the star-studded annual event
It was a mad dash to scrub the red carpet ahead of Sunday’s Golden Globes after a pipe burst, spewing liquid some say smelled of sewage across the pathway for the stars.
Black water gushed onto horrified members of the international press awaiting the arrival of Hollywood glitziest stars dressed in their finest gala attire.
The press fled from the spill as the Beverly Hills Fire Department rushed to the scene to clean up the smelly mess in front of Hollywood’s famous Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Disgusting: Members of the press awaiting the arrival of Hollywood’s biggest stars weer horrified ahead of Sunday’s Golden Globes when a sewage pipe burst, spewing stinking black water across the once gleaming red carpet
An E! Television red carpet correspondent was among the disgusted press members who witnessed the unprecedented sullying of one of the world’s most anticipated celebrity events.
‘A pipe has appeared to totally bust and there is water gushing, literally everywhere in the position of where all of the international press – everyone has moved out of the way,’ said Catt Sadler. ‘Rain was not expected in LA today, but we’ve got a little flooding!’
The flooding was apparently more like a malodorous deluge.
‘Sewage pipe break on red carpet at #GoldenGlobes so it’s not hot as s**t but it could smell like it today. Good times,’ tweeted Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush just after the disaster.
Unsavory walk of fame: For a time, it appeared the cavalcade of Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks might ending up creating a stinkier version of the footprint covered Hollywood Walk of Fame on their march into the hotel’s historic International Ballroom
Doing important work: Beverly Hills fire department were at the scene in 15 minutes to ensure the Tinsel Town luminaries remained unaffected by the fetid mess left by an inadvertently set off fire sprinkler
Ryan Seacrest took the opportunity to crack jokes about the last-minute nightmare that occurred just hours before the annually anticipated event.
‘Could be bad for long gowns,’ wrote the professional emcee, along with a picture of the fire fighters cleaning up the mess.
According to KABC, the gusher began when a lighting rig overheated, setting off a sprinkler, which rained the fluid down onto the crimson walkway.
But eye witnesses said the water smelled of sewage, suggesting there was more to the story than simply a fire system set off by accident.
‘We can confirm that there was a malfunction with a sprinkler near the red carpet,’ read a statement from the posh Beverly Hills Hotel, where the Golden Globes have been held–sewage free–for over 50 years.
‘The situation was quickly resolved. Despite the incident the red carpet will open at its regularly scheduled time, the statement continued. ‘ As some of the biggest names in entertainment are scheduled to attend Golden Globe Awards tonight, we wanted to give the carpet one last wash before it opened.’
Source : Daily Mail