Sigel has surgery and is awake after being shot in the stomach
- The bullet went through Sigel’s stomach and out his back, police said
- Hospital officials told police that the 40-year-old rapper was awake on Friday afternoon after surgery
- Sigel’s family said he had just taken his children to school and was an unintended target of the shooting at around 9.30am on Friday
- The rapper has been in and out of courtrooms over the past decade, sometimes with Jay-Z and Beyonce looking on from the gallery
- In August, Sigel was moved from federal prison to a halfway house after serving a two-year tax-evasion sentence over an unpaid $700,000
Rapper Beanie Sigel, a one-time protege of Jay Z, was shot in the stomach inside a home in New Jersey on Friday.
The bullet went through Sigel’s stomach and out his back, Pleasantville police Chief Jose Ruiz said on Friday.
Authorities and Sigel’s lawyer initially called the wound life-threatening, but hospital officials told police that the 40-year-old rapper was awake Friday afternoon after surgery. Investigators were on their way to try to interview the rapper.
Rapper Beanie Sigel was rushed to hospital on Friday (pictured) after being shot in the stomach inside a New Jersey home, police said
Sigel was awake on Friday afternoon after having surgery. He was not the intended target, his family said
Emergency personnel take shooting victim, rapper Beanie Sigel, from a house in Plesantville, New Jersey
Sigel, whose real name is Dwight Grant, had just taken his children to school when he was shot.His family said that Sigel was an unintended target of the shooting, around 9.30am on Friday.
‘We’re all hoping and praying that he pulls through,’ Perri said.
Investigators were waiting to talk to Sigel, 40. A second man who was injured at the home refused medical treatment and has been uncooperative with police.
Sigel had three albums hit the top five on the Billboard album chart: ‘The Truth’ in 2000, ‘The Reason’ in 2001 and ‘The B. Coming’ in 2005.
He also starred in the movie ‘State Property’ and its sequel.
He has been in and out of courtrooms over the past decade, sometimes with Jay-Z and Beyonce looking on from the gallery.
In August, Sigel was moved from federal prison to a halfway house after serving a two-year tax-evasion sentence and then released to home confinement in September.
Authorities said he failed to pay more than $700,000 in taxes.
In 2006, Sigel was shot multiple times in the arm in Philadelphia after an attempted robbery.
He was able to drive himself to a hospital for treatment. He was found not guilty in an attempted murder trial in 2005.
Rapper Beanie Sigel and Jay-Z perform at Hammerstein Ballroom on November 11, 2007 in New York City
EMTs transport the rapper from a shooting scene on Friday where he and another man were wounded
Source : Daily Mail