Provincial government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa bordering Afghanistan says route reopened after change in US drone policy.
|The provincial government in Pakistan’s northwest state of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has said it has ended a more than three-month blockade of a NATO supply route to Afghanistan over contentious US drone strikes in the country, citing change in policy.
Until Thursday, the Tehreek-e-Insaf party, led by cricketer turned politician Imran Khan, had been blocking the route to pressure Washington to end drone attacks targeting armed groups in the region bordering Afghanistan.
Khan himself has led these protests and has been a vocal critic of drone attacks in Pakistan.
In a statement, Khan’s party said it ended the protest after seeing a change in the US drone policy. Their decision also comes days after a Pakistani court ordered authorities to end the blockade of transit goods into landlocked Afghanistan.
The party’s top leadership also “felt that the pressure of the blockade had already resulted in a shift in the Obama administration’s drone policy and as a result drones had been stopped for the present”, the statement read. It also said it ended the protest to respect the court order.
Party official Fiaz Ahmad Khalil said the blockade lasted 97 days. “We are happy that the American government has stopped drone attacks, and we are also positively responding by ending our protest,” Khalil said.
Khan’s party launched the blockade after a US drone strike in November killed Hakimullah Mehsud, the leader of the Pakistani Taliban.
Violations of sovereignty
Mehsud, who was on the US most-wanted terrorist lists with a $5m bounty, was believed to have been behind a deadly suicide attack at a CIA base in Afghanistan, a failed car bombing in New York’s Times Square and other brazen assaults in Pakistan that killed thousands of civilians and security forces.
But his killing came as Pakistan was preparing to start peace talks with Pakistan Taliban, enraging its government and the population.
There was no immediate comment on Thursday from the government of Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, which has also opposed the drone strikes, calling them counterproductive and violations of the country’s sovereignty.
However, Pakistan’s government is known to have supported at least some of the attacks in the past.
Khan’s party had blocked a route from the northwestern city of Peshawar, one of several overland routes used by the NATO for getting vital supplies into Afghanistan. These routes are now generally used to ship equipment out of Afghanistan as the US seeks to withdraw most of its combat troops from the country by the end of this year.
The routes have also been closed in the past.
Pakistan blocked the routes for seven months following US airstrikes that accidentally killed two dozen soldiers on the Afghan border in November 2011. It finally reopened the routes after the US apologised.
Source : Al Jazeera