Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has topped the list of America’s wealthiest philanthropists who have
given away billions of dollars to charity.
The entrepreneur and his wife Priscilla Chan have donated 18million shares of Facebook stock worth more than $990-million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
The list was compiled by The Chronicle of Philanthropy which based its data on the 10 biggest publicly announced single gifts.
However, despite the huge sums, America’s wealthiest did not give as much as they did before the recession.
In 2007, the biggest gifts from individuals came to $4.1billion.
The amounts on the 2013 list came to $100-million.
Twelve of the 15 donations on the 2013 list went to universities and colleges.
Second on the list was Philip Knight, co-founder of Nike and his wife Penelope, who pledged $500 million to Oregon Health and Science University Foundation for cancer research.
They have said they will ensure all money is donated to the foundation if the it matches the donation within the next two years.
Michael Bloomberg came next after making a $350million pledge to John Hopkins University to give financial aid to undergraduate students.
TOP 10 PHILANTHROPIC GIFTS OF 2013
List includes 15 gifts, including six at the $100 million level that tied for Number 10.
1. Mark Zuckerberg: $992.2 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation
2. Phil Knight: $500 million pledge to the Oregon Health and Science University Foundation
3. Michael Bloomberg: $350 million pledge to Johns Hopkins University
Michael Bloomberg (left) and Phil Knight who have pledged billions of pounds to charity
4. Charles Johnson: $250 million pledge to Yale University
5. Stephen Ross: $200 million pledge to University of Michigan
6. Muriel Block: $160 million bequest to Yeshiva University
7. John Arrillaga: $151 million pledge to Stanford University
8. Irwin Jacobs: $133 million pledge to Cornell NYC Tech
9. Charles Munger: $110 million pledge to University of Michigan
10. David Koch: $100 million pledge to New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Frank McCourt: $100 million pledge to Georgetown University
Ronald Perelman: $100 million pledge to Columbia Business School
T. Denny Sanford: $100 million pledge to University of California at San Diego
Stephen Schwarzman: $100 million pledge to Tsinghua University in Beijing
Deborah Joy Simon: $100 million pledge to Mercersburg Academy
Source : Daily mail